Monday 23 August 2010

Last night in England

The time has come for me to leave! Well, almost. It still seems a bit surreal that by this time tomorrow I'll be in Gottingen and starting what I hope will be an amazing nine months there. The prospect of experiencing german culture and getting to grips with the language is really exciting, though perhaps the best thing has to be the lack of end of year exams, whoop! I think that's the first time since I was four... I'm also looking forward to having a go at teaching, though seeing as most of my knowledge of the english language has been gained through learning foreign languages, I'm not sure just how much of an ambassador for the english language I'll be! Still, I'm sure the students will have fun trying to decipher my lancashire accent which seems to have strengthed somewhat since being back home. Last week I had great fun with a book on the Lankyshire dialect that I bought to take with me-- now surely it's not just the north west that uses 'to meither somebody', or 'flummoxed' or even 'gormless'?? Decipher: 'lerrin' im lackin' un not learnin' is addlin' is brain.'

Anyway I have to say that I've been so encouraged to hear that many people from home and university will be praying for me whilst I'm away and feel quite blessed that God has given me such great friends and family! A friend wrote me a card quoting Joshua 1v9: 'Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.' Quite apt really! What do I really have to be afraid of?

So until I get internet access this is 'ta ta for now'. The next time I write I'll be doing so from my new address and God-willing will be a little more clicked into german... so tschuss!

No comments:

Post a Comment