Thursday 2 September 2010

Amazed by God's goodness

I haven't realy had a lot of time, or rather enough internet access to be able to blog recently, so I feel like I have loads to say but don't quite know how to say it! Expect this in a few installments...

Since arriving in Germany last tuesday I have been astounded at how much God cares for me. I can't even remember all the times He answered prayer for things like safe travel, finding accommodation, meeting people and making friends, language skills, finding a church etc. The build up to going away was quite stressful at times and I'll admit that I was often quite short with my parents. But I thank God that they are so supportive.

There is still loads of official type stuff to do and I really feel like I haven't stopped since I got here. The induction I've just been on in Cologne took up most of this week and to be honest I feel shattered- bring on the 5.30 am start tomorrow...
I have to admit that today as I was pulling away from Cologne I started to get the first twinges of a bit of homesickness, not for my county, as I've never been particularly patriotic, but for my friends and family. At times over the last week I have felt lonely and certainly exasperated with my lack of language knowledge. But then I realised earlier just how selfish I've been. To be honest most of my prayers have been about me. Yet after reading a few emails and catching up with others at the induction I realise just how many others are having a worse a time of it! How it is so easy to forget that the world, other than your own personalised one, still exists and there are many people who need prayer. Reading 'Help, my halo's slipping' by Larry Dinkins lately has been particularly helpful too, but reading his account of missionary work in Thailand makes me realise just how little I really pray for others and yet how essential that is to the work.

Anyway, will write more later but am off to read and get an early night.

No comments:

Post a Comment