Saturday 25 September 2010

Language geek.

I had my first japanese lesson yesterday, which was fun and profoundly interesting, but also fairly difficult!! Due to the whole learning another different 'alphabet' (ok- characters) I feel like I'm about 3 and learning how to read again! It's all greek... or japanese to me.

I think since meeting japanese students at university through the international work with the CU, I've become more and more interested in East Asia. I can't even really explain it properly but the prospect of learning either chinese or japanese has been tempting me for quite a while. So, they're not the easiest languages to learn -probably the understatement of the year- but from what I can see japanese sees to be 'slightly' easier because there isn't so much tonal work when pronouncing the words.

The course is apparently 'intesiv', as the hungarian teacher told me, who's accent has a strange rolling but soft-spoken quality to it, meaning that I have to listen very carefully when he speaks german. No doubt it is brilliant german listening practise and because it is all translated into german it means I have to use my brain even more, whoop! I never thought I would actually relish study this much.

But well, a bit of the old german vocab learning is calling me hither on this rather grey, saturday afternoon. There's at least one good thing with starting to study an east asian language though... you can't get any of it mixed up with german!

No comments:

Post a Comment