Sunday 13 February 2011

I read this gem of a verse recently, which I then forgot to post:

'Beloved, I urge you as sojourners and exiles to abstain from the passions of the flesh, which wage war against your soul.' 1 Peter 2:11

I was doubting a lot of things at this point. I was uncertain of much concerning God and felt very distant from Him. It then struck me reading this that there were certain things that I was, or perhaps had been involved in, which were waging war against my soul and thus contributing to my doubting and general contempt.

How blind I am in spiritual things. I find myself very unwise when it comes to discerning between what is allowed and also good for my soul, and what is also allowed but not necessarily wholesome. The passions of the flesh, in whatever form they come, are juicy and tempting. They bring temporary pleasure but equally a knawing, spiritual ache. It shouldn't be 'how far can I go before I sin,' but rather, 'how far can I stay away'! The trouble is, I often don't think like that, or am unaware of the dangers because I don't pray for guidance. Reading through Joshua has highlighted the importance of complete and utter consecration to God and how prayer is so vital before everything that I do. I think perhaps the first question I ask should be, 'what does God say?', rather than, 'what does corrupt, blind Vicky say?' All too often I have the final word on what I say and do.

I think I often also abuse the freedom I have in Christ. Yet the following verse exhorts me to do otherwise.

'Live as people who are free, not using your freedom as a cover-up for evil, but living as servants of God.' 1 Peter 2:16

And why should I do this?

...because I am now no longer living in ignorance of God or of His plan of salvation, and therefore should not be conformed to the passions of my former ignorance, but rather live as I am called, which is to be holy as God is holy.

...because I am a 'living stone' 'being built up as a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices to God through Jesus Christ.' I have been grafted into a body, a people, a nation over which God says 'Mine!' I am no longer my own person, but am rather constrained by the love of Christ to 'proclaim the excellencies of Him who called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.'

...because I have received mercy.

...because those who are not saved will look on and, even though they may condemn you, 'may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day of visitation.'

...because I am called to 'be subject for the Lord's sake to every human institution'. I am called to bless my nation, my rulers, my government, my neighbours, even when they hate me for it, for God's sake.

In short, I am called to use this freedom wisely so that God is glorified the most. I am not constrained by a law that beats me to a pulp until I call to His throne room whimpering just hoping to be able to plead for some of His grace and mercy. I am constrained rather by a law of love, that makes me humbly bow before a God who righteously condemns sin and who would be in the right if He should choose to destroy me for my own sin, which so offends Him, and yet who declares me free, forgiven and living because I am in Christ Jesus. What a gracious, patient, wise and loving God we have. I'm continually amazed by His wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment